Completers of Elmira College’s Childhood Special Education program will…
- Understand the historical, social, and legal foundations of special education and the characteristics of learners with disabilities;
- Manage the behavior of students with disabilities and promote their development of positive social interaction skills;
- Assess and evaluate students with disabilities;
- Develop a curriculum for students with disabilities and use research-validated methods of instructing them, including methods of teaching reading and mathematics and methods of enrichment and intervention in reading and mathematics;
- Plan and manage the teaching and learning environments for students with disabilities in both special education and general education settings; and
- Use assistive and adaptive instructional technologies in the teaching of and learning by students with disabilities.