Transfer of Credits
Elmira College welcomes qualified students who desire to transfer to Elmira to complete degree requirements. To obtain a degree from Elmira College students must complete at least 30 credit hours at Elmira including at least 15 credit hours in the desired major and 9 credits in desired minor. A maximum number of 68 credit hours from two-year colleges or 90 credit hours from four-year institutions will be allowed to transfer. Some students entering at the junior level may require more than 60 additional credits to complete all requirements, depending on the program selected.
Full-time transfer students are routinely guided by the degree requirements that apply to their expected graduating class rather than the requirements in The Elmira College Bulletin when they enroll. (With advisor approval, the student may choose to graduate under the terms of a later Bulletin.)
The Registrar according to the following guidelines evaluates credits transferred to Elmira College:
- Undergraduate credit for which the student received a grade of C- or above will be considered for transfer to Elmira College only from institutions accredited by an agency that is a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Courses of a generally similar nature, content, and level to Elmira courses will be accepted. Narrowly vocational or remedial courses will not be accepted.
- Courses taken at another college in which the student received a grade of D-, D, or D+ may be accepted to waive a prerequisite or a degree requirement but will not be transferred for credit toward the Elmira College degree. Elmira College, however, does accept “D” grades on courses which comprise part of certain associate degrees from community and junior colleges with which Elmira College has articulation agreements, in accordance with the specific terms and conditions set forth in each agreement.
- If another college permitted the student to repeat a course to raise a grade, Elmira College will accept the higher grade.
- Students who transfer to Elmira College, regardless of class rank at the time of transfer, must complete all requirements for the degree in effect at that time, for his or her graduating class.
- Elmira College accepts credit recommendations as given by the commission on the Accreditation of Service Experience, the Educational Testing Service, New York State Department of Education, and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
- All other credit determinations will be made by the Registrar in consultation with the Dean of Faculty and other appropriate officials on the basis of guidelines recommended by the Educational Standards Committee and approved by the faculty.