Request.InfoEnroll.Now.Elmira.CollegeVisit EC

Understanding Aid

Understanding financial aid can be overwhelming.
And, we can help!


Sources and Types of Aid

At Elmira College we offer three main types of financial aid: gift aid, loans and work-study.

Gift Aid

Gift aid does not have to be paid back. Gift aid includes merit-based scholarships and need-based grants. Sources for gift aid include Elmira College, federal and state governments and private organizations.


Many students receive loans as part of their financial aid packages. Loans vary in amount and must be repaid, usually with interest. The good news is: payments often do not start until after graduation. Sources for loans include federal and state governments and private groups. You can learn more about loans by visiting Payment Options & Loans.

Work-to-learn & Learn-to-work

Work programs offer students wages to apply toward college expenses plus valuable work experience. Approximately 50 percent of our students work in more than 40 different departments on campus.

Work Study

Based on financial need, Work Study jobs are funded by Elmira College and the federal government.

Work Aid

Work Aid positions are available to all students, regardless of financial need.

Additional Information

Payment Plan Options—Interest-free, insured, monthly payment plans are available through Tuition Management Systems. An annual flat fee is charged. For more information and applications, please call (800) 722-4867 or visit their web site at

Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS),

Private Student Loan Programs available through private lenders

ROTC—The United States Army offers 1 1/2 to 4-year full-tuition scholarships plus a $1,200 per year book allowance and monthly stipend of $300-500. Lt. Charles Shepard Class of 1861 Award is given by Elmira College to ROTC cadets contracted with full-tuition scholarships. This award is equal to the basic room and board charges for the academic year. Lt. Helen Hicks Class of 1937 Award is given by Elmira College to contracted ROTC cadets who do not receive ROTC scholarships. This award is equal to the basic board charge for the academic year. For more information, contact, (607) 735-1799.

Early Option

EC Net Price Calculator — Before applying and being accepted to EC, you can use our EC Net Price Calculator to determine scholarships, awards, and other forms of financial assistance for which you may be eligible.

You must still complete the FAFSA after January 1st of your high school senior year.

Planning Checklist

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1st of your high school senior year. Our federal school code is 002718. Save time, file electronically with FAFSA on the Web using FSA IDs for both student and parent signatures, at The Federal Student Aid phone number is (800) 433-3243.

Complete State grant applications if applicable by the required deadlines. Elmira College’s school code for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is 0215. Contact New York State Higher Education Services Corporation at or (888) 697-4372. Vermont residents should contact or (800) 882-4166.

Late February/early March, once we receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education, the Elmira College Office of Financial Aid will mail on a rolling basis confidential award letters to students who have been accepted for admission.

Helpful Hints for Parents

  1. Explore a private college education. Look at the final cost to you after financial aid rather than the listed price of the institution. To get a cost estimate, use our EC Net Price Calculator tool
  2. Honor Scholarships are available from Elmira College regardless of financial need.
  3. Everyone’s financial situation is different. The only way to know if you are eligible for assistance is to apply. Do not wait to be accepted to apply for aid.
  4. For free private scholarship search information log on to:
    or contact your high school guidance office.
  5. Keep the lines of communication open. Contact our Office of Financial Aid with any questions.