Come and explore the Elmira College residence halls. Below you will find photos and descriptions of each hall that students live in during their time here at Elmira College.
The original Alumni Hall was located on the corner of West Washington Avenue and College Avenue. The building currently named Alumni Hall was constructed in 1959 and was named Main Street Dormitory. The current Alumni Hall serves as a coed freshman student living option. There are four floors of student housing and during most academic years provides students with an extended quiet hours housing option. The building provides both a main lounge, used for all hall meetings and as a group study space, the TV lounge on the terrace level also provides students with a pool table and has a vending area. Residence Life Staff Offices, pantries, a laundry room, and storage facilities complete the facilities offered. As with every residence hall at Elmira, Alumni Hall is locked 24 hours a day for the safety reasons and each student has proximity card access to their hall.
This residence hall is primarily a freshmen hall. It is located in the heart of campus and provides housing for just over one-hundred freshmen men and women in a coed by floor environment. Its close proximity to the Speidel Gymnasium and the Campus Center make it a popular option for students. Anderson provides students with a community lounge area, laundry facilities, storage, and Residence Life Staff Offices. Anderson was named for Douglas Anderson, a prominent Elmira industrialist and trustee, and was completed in 1960.
Columbia Hall provides housing for over one hundred freshman women. It is a mirror image in Anderson Hall and shares the location near the Campus Center and Emerson Hall, which is the location of the Speidel Gymnasium and Gibson Theatre. It includes two lounge, one that provides an area for all hall meetings as well as small study groups. The adjacent TV Lounge provides a smaller gathering space. Columbia also offers laundry facilities, storage, and Residence Life Staff Offices. Columbia was completed in 1965 and was rededicated in 1992 by the Prime Minister of the Bahamas for the 500th anniversary of the Columbus' voyage to the Americas.
Meier Hall is the newest addition to the residence facilities available to upperclassmen. The air-conditioned building includes the Stephans Lounge which offers residents a cozy fireplace area to meet with friends or a large assembly space for campus wide events. Meier Hall residents challenge each other to a game of pool in front of the large flat screen TV in the Basel Lounge. In addition, students who select to live in Meier Hall enjoy a seminar room where they can meet with their club officers. The individual room configurations include doubles and singles with shared bathroom facilities as well as hallway access single and double rooms. The Tower Rooms permit groups of three, four, or five students to live together in a collegiate gothic building with the most modern facilities. Located between the Gannett-Tripp Library and Columbia Hall, residents enjoy the convenience of living accommodations, just seconds away from the dining hall, library, computer center, gymnasium, and fitness center.
Perry Hall is named for Charles Perry, Chairman of the Board of Trustees from 1950-1957. The building was completed in 1957 and renovated in 1983. Perry is primarily an upperclassmen residence. Perry offers students housing in a coed by floor environment. Students select to live in double rooms off the hallway or in suites of four students. Perry Hall residents are able to enjoy the spacious main lounge, Residence Life Offices, laundry facilities and storage areas. Attached to Perry is Tompkins Hall, an upper-class female residence hall.
Tompkins Hall, named for Elmira College Trustee Sarah Wey Tompkins, was built in 1928. This building houses upper-class female students. Double rooms, single rooms, and single adjoining rooms are available. Some rooms boast working fireplaces and bay windows with a spectacular view of campus. The Terrace Level of Tompkins Hall houses the Speech and Hearing Clinic and the Campus Security Offices. Tompkins Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Twin Towers were opened in 1967 and 1968. Serving as upper-class residences housing nearly four hundred students. Each tower offers eight floors of suites and double rooms off the hallway. The suite arrangement in Twin Towers offers a common room, two double rooms, and a single room. Each Tower offers residents four pantries, TV lounges and study rooms. Free laundry facilities and storage are offered in each Tower.
The College Cottages were built in 1948 to provide housing for Elmira College faculty members. Now the four Cottages provide housing to junior and senior level students in one and two-bedroom, furnished apartments. Students living in Cottages have the option of cooking for themselves. Competition for housing in Cottages is high and is attained by applying with friends in early spring. Housing assignments in Cottages are awarded on a point system that rewards academic excellence and class standing.